The Estimator / Business Development Representative will estimate labor and material costs of manufacturing and engineering based on request for proposal (RFP) data submitted by prospective and existing customers. Analyzes specifications including sketches, blueprints, bills of material, and calculates production costs using labor and material pricing schedules and historical data. Collects cost data from functional representatives, subcontractors, and vendors. Computes cost estimates of raw materials or subcontracted work and labor. Prepares and maintains historical cost data. Creates cost models for cost estimating elements.
The Estimator / Business Development Representative will also support and lead business development activities and account penetration by selling the company’s products and/or related services. Personally contacts and secures new business accounts/customers.
Researches sources for developing prospective customers (both domestically and internationally) and for information to determine their potential.
Must possess significant experience in the Aerospace and machining industry. Demonstrated aptitude for problem-solving; ability to determine solutions for customers (consultative sales approach). Must be results-orientated and able to work both independently and within a team environment. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite applications and contact management software.
- Evaluate product to be cost assessed with sales, engineering and design for feasibility to process machined parts and how the product is to be quoted to the customer.
- Use drawing and specification information in customer requests for quotes (RFQ), determine labor, material, and process hour and cost estimates for detailed parts, assemblies, and tooling.
- Assure quoted parts are consistent with customer specifications.
- Prepare estimates using company or customer approved Excel workbooks and data sheets
- Determines and develops packaging and shipping costs as required.
- Assists with data entry for quotes into the Epicor system
- Coordinate with procurement for requests for quotations from outside suppliers for parts, materials, hardware, standards, and surface processes
- Prepare data for reports, presentations, status, and continuous improvement initiatives.
- May occasionally perform special projects; Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three (3) years cost estimating and supply chain experience in the manufacturing machining industry.
- Working knowledge of catia v5 to view models for estimating
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, & costs
- Knowledge of customer RFQ document types and language
- Ability to interpret RFQ requirements from customer drawings, and specifications
- Knowledge of cost estimating methods, from detailed part bids through parametric modeling used in large-scale quotations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail, accurate, and organized
- Appropriate math skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Able to establish, communicate, and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Mechanical engineer background helpful